‘Tis the season to give thanks! Whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not, you should practice gratitude daily because the benefits are huge! Many studies have found there are both mental and physical benefits from gratitude that will significantly improve the quality of your life. Here are 4 great benefits of gratitude.
1. Gratitude attracts friendships
We all know that saying “thank you” is a sign of good manners, but did you know that it also helps attract new friends? According to a 2014 study published in Emotion, simply thanking a person can make them more likely want to become friends with you. So the next time someone does something nice for you, whether it be holding the door open or helping you with an assignment, thank them and watch the relationship blossom!
2. Gratitude is great for your mental wellbeing
Replace your negative thoughts with positive thoughts, and you are guaranteed to feel better. Gratitude reduces toxic emotions, such as jealousy, frustration and resentment. Several research studies have found that gratitude increases happiness and reduces depression. Gratitude has also been known to improve self-esteem! We’ve all scrolled through Instagram and felt worse about our lives afterwards. Instead, try focusing on what you’re thankful for. Your gratitude will be sure to help you cope with any negative social comparisons, as grateful people are able to appreciate other people’s accomplishments.
3. Gratitude helps you sleep better
According to a study in Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being, writing in a journal about things you are grateful for improves your quality of sleep. Just before you doze off for the night, write down what you are grateful for. After releasing those positive vibes, you should sleep better and longer.
4. Gratitude makes you stronger physically
Grateful people are also more likely to take care of their health. They tend to eat more healthily and are more physically active, which of course does wonders for their physical being!
So there you have it- practicing gratitude gives you tremendous benefits! We all have the ability to give gratitude. Rather than complaining about the things you don’t have, focus on all that you are grateful for having. An “attitude of gratitude” goes a really long way! Giving gratitude doesn’t cost any money or take much time. So what are you waiting for?
Here are some super easy ways to incorporate gratitude into your daily life
- Write in a gratitude journal.
- Notice the beauty in nature- the sunshine, fresh air, the animals.
- Take the time to slow down and soak in the little moments.
- Spend quality time with your family and friends.
- Smile more often.
- Complete random acts of kindness.
- When you think a negative thought, turn it into a positive thought.
- Try to spend the day without complaining.
- Meditate, practice mindfulness and don’t forget to breathe.
- Focus on the present, and don’t worry about the past or future.
- Read positive quotes.